Thursday, October 1, 2015

Genesis 6

The well-known story of Noah and the ark begins in this chapter, but before we get there, we're treated to one of those classic Biblical oddities that causes dissent even among scholars. The "sons of God," apparently unable to control their raging hormones, become smitten with the "daughters of humans," which pisses God off, to put it lightly. The NIV Study Bible briefly mentions several possible interpretations: The sons of God could be angels, kings, or men from the righteous line of Seth marrying the women from the fallen line of Cain. The main point is that mankind has become incorrigibly corrupted, sin becoming so pervasive that every thought of man is evil.

Sounds like a terrific time to have been living.

But think about how heartbroken God must have felt. His beloved creation, created in His own image to have fellowship with Him, has turned away from Him. And not only that, but they are making each others' lives wretched and miserable, liberally sowing wickedness left and right. I can think to myself, "OK, I mess up, but at least my every thought is not disposed toward evil." But the nasty little thoughts and actions I do have and take are downright malodorous to God. And yet, in His infinite grace, he sent His son to die for all my imbecilic offenses.

Then there are the mysterious Nephilim, gargantuan offspring of the "sons of God" and "daughters of humans." I remember them being in the Madeline L'Engle book Many Waters; although that's a work of fiction, I recall the Nephilim didn't come across so hot. (As an aside, didn't that Wrinkle in Time series just get weirder and weirder with each entry?)

Mankind has become so depraved that God decides to wipe out the earth, save for Noah's family. (Although the NIV Study Bible notes that flood could have possibly been just regional as opposed to a true worldwide deluge.) Seems like a rather drastic action to take, but if humankind's every thought had indeed become dissolute, it would make sense to wipe the slate clean.

The Sunday school point to take away from this first part of the flood account is that Noah had the unquestioning faith that God would see Him through the soggy cataclysm to come. In this story, as with most of these Biblical stories, God seems to speak directly to people. Not a whole lot of that going on nowadays, but should that be an excuse? I've always struggled with spiritual discernment--still do, in fact. Is that inner voice God speaking to me, or is it just my own synapses firing off in scattershot directions? I hope and pray to develop that sense of discernment, but when I do, will I be like Noah and follow God's instructions without waffling about?

I can be indecisive, much to the chagrin of those around me. Which ice cream should I buy--Vanilla, Extra Creamy Vanilla, or French Vanilla? Where do you want to eat dinner? Which Blu-ray should we see tonight? For the love of Pete--these are first world problems if I ever saw them. It's like an endless loop of those barbershop-Beatles vultures in The Jungle Book.

Stepping out in faith can be terrifying; I expect as much when I reach such junctures in my life. I pray that as I continue to grow more intimate with God, I will feel secure enough in his providence to take those risks, fulfilling His perfect plan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment