Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Genesis 25

After some brief accounts of the additional offspring of Abraham and Ishmael, Genesis turns to Jacob and Esau. Typically, some see Esau as bit of a dolt and Jacob as an astute, enterprising angel, but Jacob does have some traits that I frankly wouldn't want in any of my kids. He's still immeasurably greater than that other Jacob who inexplicably falls for Kristin Stewart, of all people, yet he's still not some untouchable paragon of virtue.

Jacob and Esau act contentiously before they're even born, wrestling in Rebekah's womb (much to her dismay). When she gives birth, what should come out but a baby grasping the heel of a scarlet throw rug. The rug grows up to be a man's man; he probably served as the first model for Brawny paper towels. Jacob, on the other hand, prefers to assist his mom with her DIY crafts, helping her run her Etsy account. Dad favors one son and mom favors the other: a perfect situation for fostering familial harmony.

Esau rashly gives up his birthright in exchange for some beans. These beans, however, don't grow into a beanstalk, rendering this a rather one-sided trade indeed. Although this was a pretty pea-brained move on Esau's part, Jacob is culpable as well. He didn't say, "OK, you can have some stew, but you have to give me a portion of all the game you catch from now on." He asked for Esau's right to inherit the first fruits of his father, including the promises of the covenant God made with Abraham. And he probably knew his brother well enough to foresee that Esau would end up giving that birthright.

As a firstborn son myself, I thought, "Gee, Esau, how idiotic can you get?" when I first heard this story. I'm nowhere near the man's man that Esau apparently was, though I do like good action movies more than chick flicks and I never wanted to play with Barbies. (As an aside, I respect and appreciate those whose hobbies and pastimes go against the traditional, socially constructed gender norms. I mean, I've recently gotten into Japanese dramas, so who am I to judge?) And though I used to quarrel with my siblings now and again, our relationship is far from rancorous.

However, I do relate with Esau's desire for instant gratification (bean stew) over long-term, eternal blessings. I know Jesus died for my sins, but I can find it so easy to spurn God's grace in favor of temporary satisfaction. Not to say that I should totally cease reading books for pleasure, watching movies, listening to film scores, or surfing the Internet, but when they start to take away from time I could have spent with God, that's when those activities become inimical to my spiritual growth. And surfing the Internet doesn't give me a whole lot of pleasure anyway, so why do I still do it so much?

I don't want to become Esau, regretting a foolishly impetuous decision. May God keep reminding me that the pleasures of Earth are temporary, but the blessings of Heaven are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment