Friday, October 9, 2015

Genesis 14

Lot finds himself caught in the crossfire in a battle between kings with funny names (although one of the kings is the ruler of a region called Goyim), spurring Abram to come to his rescue. I suppose it had been kind of a long time since Adam and Eve, but it's still disturbing how quickly human society started  squabbling for land and power.

I admit I find a morbidly humorous quality to the image in verse 10 of people fleeing, only to run straight into tar pits. I know I certainly wouldn't be laughing if I were in that situation, but unless the battle took place at night, there is kind of a Looney Tunes, Wile E. Coyote quality to someone walking into a tar pit because they're not watching where they're going. (Just watch;  that's going to end up happening to me some day.) In any case, it's an oddly specific detail to include in an otherwise vaguely described battle.

Lot's decision to pitch his tent (so to speak) near Sodom, a bustling city with a facade of opportunity, had led him to become embroiled in a political situation. Kidnapped by four kings, he probably momentarily regrets his decision. (I say "momentarily" because he ends up going right back.) Abram, who has put his faith in God, has enough people under his command to not only pluck Lot out of his quandary, but also to rout the opposing kings. Not to say that God will always provide you with wealth beyond your imagination if you have faith in Him, but He will provide what He knows you need at just the right moment--and Abram did need all those resources to rescue his nephew and make his mark in the area, letting his neighbors know of the God he served.

I know that God provided me with my jobs just when I needed them. Even more miraculous in this economy is that I got these jobs without knowing anybody at the companies beforehand. And this was all when I just had a tenuous connection with Him--how much more will He stimulate my growth and development when I actively start living for Him (as I'm attempting to do now)?

As a final note, in my freshman year of high school, our band played a musical piece based on this Biblical event called "Abram's Pursuit," composed by David R. Holsinger. One of my favorite pieces I played in my years of band, you can listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h4tiFNS-qg

Another rousing piece by the same composer is "To Tame the Perilous Skies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnmSWfSlZTg This particular performance isn't the greatest, especially during the finale, but I couldn't find the recording I have on Youtube. (Not my uploads)

No comments:

Post a Comment