Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Leviticus 26

At some point in our education, most of us have thought that some teachers assigned barbarously difficult exams or assignments just because they were sadists. And every time, they'd say something like, "I want you all to get 100%," which made me grumble to myself, "Well, if you really believe that, then why don't you just make the wretched thing easier?" I experienced this the most in math classes; many English assignments were rather rigorous as well, but I was able to get away with writing most of the essay the night before and still get an A--which fortunately (or unfortunately) was my modus operandi in college as well. To this day, I feel like a bit of an indolent cheat, but hey, it worked the vast majority of the time.

Anyway, now that I'm in the education field myself, I now know the real reason for teachers wanting their students to get 100%: Perfect assignments are so much easier to grade, and eloquent papers are so much more fun to read. Likewise, Leviticus 26 contrasts the ease of obedience with the nasty convolution of disobedience. The chapter devotes its first 13 verses to rewards for obedience--if the people follow God's decrees, He will make their lives awesome. Simple, straightforward, no fuss. However, the chapter then treats us to a whopping 33 verses on punishments for disobedience. 

Said punishments remind me of the discipline section of my middle school and high school handbooks (and yes, I actually read those--that's how hopelessly and inveterately dweeby I am). First comes a warning, followed by a trip to the principal's office, which leads to a review by the school disciplinary board (whatever the heck that is). Then, of course, are the delights of detention, Saturday school, suspension, and expulsion. God offers similar escalating deterrents, including the unexpectedly literary threat of making the sky like iron and the ground like bronze (verse 19). The image of a region dominated by metal reminds me of Brandon Sanderson's fantastic novel Steelheart, and yes, a city composed entirely of metal is as bleak as it sounds. Verse 16 offers a particularly fine morsel: "You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it." That sucks, but the juvenile part of me still finds it kind of funny.

The punishments get more horrid from there, but God still offers a way out: If the people repent, then God will remember His covenant with them (verses 40-45). The Israelites can avoid all these harrowing penalties if they just confess their wrongdoing and turn back to God. As I've mentioned before, whenever I sin, I feel like crap and ask for God's forgiveness. However, if I'm truly sorry for what I've done, why do I keep taking advantage of God's grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment