Thursday, January 28, 2016

Exodus 31

Chapter 31

God puts the delightfully named Bezalel and Oholiab in charge of manufacturing the tabernacle, its furnishings, and the priestly garments. I'll just say that it's rather impressive that the Israelites were able to lug so much material along with them in their hasty flight from Egypt. Then again, if you remember, God did make the Egyptians "favorably disposed" toward the Israelites (Exodus 12:36); now we see what all that precious metal is for. (Or at least what it's supposed to be used for; the Israelites once again screw this up, as we'll find out in the next chapter.)

Bezalel, Oholiab, and all the "skilled workers" (verse 6) under them use their God-given talents to glorify Him. We'll learn more about individual talents and specialization once we get to the letters of Paul, but even here, we see evidence that God gives us gifts to use for the benefit of Him and His. Like I've mentioned before, writing is the one skill I have that's at least a little above average. However, I know that writing these self-centered posts, while a good first step, isn't really benefiting anyone else. I need to allow my relationship with God to flourish so I can discern how I can put my talents to real use.

God reiterates the Sabbath laws, but here we find that they're actually quite rigorous. Verse 15 explicitly says, "Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day is to be put to death." No one in their right mind follows this law today, but I do think we have to remember to set aside time to spend in God's presence without the distractions of work or idle entertainment. Now that we have so much more ways to be entertained--films, video games, YouTube, Tsum Tsum--leisure can divert us from God just as insidiously as work. I haven't succumbed to phone games thus far, but I probably value my time reading, watching, or listening to media for pleasure than I do my time with God. And that definitely has to change.

"You shall not covet…" (20:17)

This is the "grass is always greener" commandment. I do have a problem wanting things--CDs, books, and movies are the major culprits for me. Sure, they don't belong to anyone because I buy them from the store or online, but it's still a manifestation of greed. Most of the time, I do enjoy what I buy, but now and again, I buy something and realize after months of not touching it that maybe I'm not getting my full value out of it.

Although I've never really coveted others' possessions--usually, if someone has something that interests me, I'll just buy my own copy--sometimes I covet others' skills or what I perceive as their superior lifestyle. Again, I wouldn't really be taking anything away from said person, but that's still a pernicious way of thinking. I'm in awe of those with oral skills superior to mine (i.e., just about anybody) who can carry a decent conversation. I look longingly at those who can get past the fifth obstacle on Flappy Bird. But what good does that do me? I'm so blessed with the life I've been given, and though I should always strive to improve my skills, I should most of all endeavor to become closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment