Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Exodus 30

Chapter 30

Despite being of Asian descent, I've never had any strong memories of any relatives who burned incense; my parents and grandparents certainly don't. I wonder if certain cultures and religions burn incense just because it smells intoxicating (though some would say pungent). Did God's incense smell alluring, or was it an acquired smell? I'm afraid I don't have any gum resin, onycha, galbanum, or frankincense on hand (verse 34), so I won't be able to perform this little science experiment anytime soon. Similarly, out of all the ingredients for the anointing oil (verses 23-24), I'm only familiar with olive oil and cinnamon--though the Bible does specify "fragrant cinnamon," so I have no idea if that's the same as the cinnamon we know. Is that word "fragrant" restrictive (specific cinnamon that is fragrant) or nonrestrictive (cinnamon, which happens to be fragrant)?

If anyone uses the anointing oil or incense for their own purposes, like as a deodorant, they are to be "cut off from their people" (verses 33, 38). This sounds rather stringent at first brush, but it does emphasize the reverence with which people should approach God. Similarly, Aaron and his sons have to wash themselves before approaching God. In addition to promoting good hygiene, this also shows that you should respect your body enough to present yourself before Him without looking like Pigpen. (This, of course, is assuming you have the means to keep yourself clean, but if you're able to access and read this, then I'm sure you have access to some sort of shower facility.)

Most notable, though, is the mention of atonement money. Each person must offer a set amount--half a shekel--to God. Nowadays, we tithe to support causes that further God's kingdom on Earth, but we're no longer required to give an exact amount. Jesus' death paid our ransom, which I'm guessing is why we're no longer under an obligation to give half a shekel or whatever. In any case, I do know that I myself need to give more, because I am only a steward of the money that God has provided me. As long as I'm able to use my money, I should use it to help others in a Christlike manner.

"You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor" (20:16)

This reminds me of Arthur Miller's play The Crucible, in which some teens basically act like a certain nether bodily orifice, slandering a bunch of people in their town with baseless accusations of witchcraft. Joseph McCarthy also did something similar in real life, accusing those he didn't like of being Communists. No one holds Abigail Williams or Joseph McCarthy as role models (I hope), but we have to be careful not to act likewise. I don't think I've actually falsely accused anyone of anything, but how many times have I written, "So-and-so is a hack director because he made this POS movie?" Maybe that's not quite the same, but is vilifying people like Zack Snyder that far removed from lying about them? Making a bad movie, book, or piece of music doesn't necessarily make you a horrible person, so why should I cast aspersions? I think I'm more careful now about not attacking the character of one whose work I don't like, but I still have to remain vigilant.

No comments:

Post a Comment