Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Exodus 24

Chapter 24

When Moses utters unto the Israelites God's laws, they dutifully respond "with one voice, 'Everything the LORD has said we will do" (verse 3). Of course, we're not even out of Exodus before they start breaking their word. I think it's likely that most of the Israelites, at that moment, did believe that they were going to follow all of God's laws--after all, they're camped out at the foot of a formidable, conflagrant mountain that serves as a clear reminder of God's power. But as they went through the drudgery of real life, they probably found it more difficult to follow God's directives. Isn't that so much like our spiritual lives, though? We have a revelatory experience that brings us to our knees in profound emotion--a "spiritual high," in today's parlance. But then it's back to mundane, daily life when it's sometimes a struggle to feel God's presence. I know that I need to actively practice spiritual disciplines to maintain and develop my relationship with God--because when I lose that connection, that's when I tend to go astray.

In verse 8, Moses sprinkles bull blood on everyone. Kind of revolting--unless you're a bull vampire.

Contrasting with that lovely image, we have verse 10, in which we see that "Under [God's] feet was something like a pavement made of lapis lazuli, as bright blue as the sky." Imagine a gargantuan slab of this vibrant stone, extending to the horizon--like the sky, but with substance, with form and corporeality. Somehow, I don't think that God manifested himself in two huge pairs of feet with legs extending to the heavens, but who knows, maybe He did.

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy." (20:8-11)

I feel that America society has a dichotomous approach to work. On one had, we can be work-obsessed, ever striving to make more money. But the reason why we want more money is to spend it on leisure pursuits and a comfortable, even swanky lifestyle. And many Americans only feel like they should have a job that isn't beneath them.

I'm a big animation fan, and I always love reading behind-the-scenes stories of how animated films were made. During the last few months of production, animators and artists often work seven days a week, 12 or more hours a day, trying to get the film ready for theatrical release. The much vaunted Toy Story 2 brought Pixar to its knees during its final crunch--so much so that a couple of animators had to leave the animation industry altogether because of the physical strain. Filmmaking is just one industry in which workers could use a Sabbath, but the demands of the job often preclude that possibility.

I'm of Asian descent, and the stereotype is that Asians are hardworking. I suppose I can be, but I do value my free time and quite enjoy my Sabbath. But am I making it holy? Since I'm asking this question, you probably know what the answer is. I have to be careful to not adapt a selfish "free time is me time" attitude--which doesn't mean that I should become an ascetic, but it does mean that I should approach all my leisure pursuits with God in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment