Friday, January 15, 2016

Exodus 22

Chapter 22

Unlike the "eye for an eye" decree of the last chapter, theft of personal property does not require 1-1 reparations. Instead, a robber (or a burglar/thief, if one uses Scott Lang's modus operandi) must provide additional compensation. For example, verse 1 says that a thief must pay back four sheep for one stolen sheep. I guess this makes sense as it deters theft to a greater extent, but I happen to think that theft is a less severe crime than, say, relieving someone of his or her eye or limb. Or murder, come to think of it. Of course, that opens up knotty legal and moral questions that make me glad I don't work in the law profession.

I might be one of the few people to find a bit of morbid humor in verse 13: If someone's animal is torn apart while in the custody of another, the custodian has "to bring in the remains as evidence." I mean, does anyone really want to see the various pieces of poor Rover at the tribunal? I suppose having to scour the area for the scattered remnants and then carrying them in is punishment enough.

Verse 18 says, "Do not allow a sorceress to live." OK, but what about sorcerers? I suppose they get away scot-free? Hmm…. On a slightly happier note, at least men who can't keep their equipment in their pants have to pay for their vice. I don't think the stated punishment fits the severity of the crime, but at least we get acknowledgment that yes, it is a crime.

Verses 22-24 provide the most substantial meat in this chapter. God has a huge heart for widows, orphans, and any others who find themselves in unfortunate or horrendous situations. Personally, I always find myself getting almost cripplingly emotional whenever I hear stories of human trafficking or child abuse. But lest you think that I'm some untouchable saint, I find my mind wandering to the other concerns and distractions of life soon after. Other than donating funds here and there, I lamentably haven't really followed through with my feelings. Is that emotion I feel God tugging at my heart to take a further step? I wouldn't be surprised, but my inaction is yet another indicator that my relationship with God could use much improvement.

"You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God…." (20:7)

For the most part, I don't have too much trouble with this commandment. I do admit to cursing in my head (almost always with myself as the target) and sometimes when I'm writing as well; none of these expletives use God or Jesus' name in vain, but I'm aware that they're still not very delightful words. And after all, isn't it more entertaining to use vivid Shakespearean insults?

No comments:

Post a Comment