Monday, November 27, 2017

1 Samuel 3

All humans dream while sleeping. (I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.) However, we don't always remember our dreams--and sometimes when we do, the memory of them fades within minutes of waking up. When I was a youngling, I had many vivid dreams. I wrote about my street sweeper nightmare back in Genesis 40, but I also had many pleasant dreams as well--traveling through futuristic cities in elevator-like conveyances, befriending a dragon-like being, and, of course, dreams about going to Disneyland or some other wondrous location that always end just before I actually get there. But I no longer seem to remember my dreams much anymore; the concept of dreaming fills me with a wistful longing--it's as if part of me can't believe that I ever dreamed. And then two seconds later, I get distracted and think about something else.

The author of 1 Samuel asserts, "In those days the word of the LORD was rare; there were not many visions" (verse 1). I imagine the Israelites during the time of Eli also wondered--did God ever really talk to people so overtly, or were those just stories? From that perspective, it's understandable that it took Eli three times to realize that God was calling Samuel. On the other hand, who did Eli think was calling Samuel? Mr. Ed the talking horse? If I had been Eli, I would definitely be suspicious about some voice calling for one of my apprentices. What if it had been some nefarious Pied Piper of Shiloh fixing to lure Samuel into the middle of some magic mountain? (I myself would have no interest in a magic mountain unless it has the requisite number of flags.)

Fortunately, God, not some nefarious, ostentatiously dressed flautist, is the one calling Samuel. An unfortunately for the beleaguered Eli, God's message to Samuel is pretty much the same one that the holy messenger delivered to Eli last chapter. Samuel is understandably hesitant about relaying the message to Eli, but to his credit, Eli doesn't fly into a rage, or even whine. He accepts God's will without protest (verse 18). Eli may have screwed up as a parent, but at least he recognizes his mistakes. But at this point, the poor man can't do anything about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment