Friday, August 19, 2016

Joshua 9

Japanese people tend to prevaricate, communicating their desires through indirect subtleties. For example (and I'm simplifying here), Japanese culture frowns upon saying "No" outright. (Why have the word "No" then? I'm not versed enough in the language and culture to provide an authoritative answer, but I do know that upon receiving compliments, people often say "No" or something like it.) Although I'm very Americanized, some of that ethnic heritage seems to have rubbed off on me. I dislike in-person confrontations and can be indirect about what I want sometimes. However, I'm well aware of this, which is why I don't complain or hold a grudge when I don't get what I want. I could go on and bore you by attempting to psychoanalyze myself further, but the point is that, mostly because of my job, I've learned to be a bit more direct and "spit it out," accepting that sometimes the answer will be "No."

The Gibeonites take indirectness so far that it becomes deceit. Melting in fear (to use phrase the author of Joshua seems inveterately fond of), they decide to turn themselves over to the Israelites. However, instead of telling the truth, they "[resort] to a ruse" (verse 4), even going so far as to bring old sacks, well-worn clothes, and moldy bread to give the impression that they are from a distant nation. After hearing what these tatterdemalions have to say, the Israelites "[sample] their provisions" (verse 14). Does that mean that they tasted the moldy bread to see if it was, in fact, a teeming nesting ground for the fuzzy fungus? Kind of gross.

The Israelites, for whatever reason, don't consult with God, taking the deceitful Gibeonites at their word. Joshua eventually finds out that the Gibeonites were in fact from, well, Gibeon, (though the author doesn't say who ratted them out). Joshua censures the Gibeonites (though I imagine he was also a bit miffed at himself for not discussing the matter with God beforehand), telling them that they will forever be "woodcutters and water carriers"--essentially servants--for the Israelites. I'm sure Joshua thought he was being good and draconian with the Gibeonites, but they seem happy just to not die, saying, "Do to us whatever seems good and right to you" (verse 25).

I could say that the Gibeonites were acting like Japanese with their roundabout tactic, but that could be construed as racist. Truth be told, it's not always best to be blunt; when talking to an inquisitive child, you don't necessarily want to explain every little lurid detail of R- or NC-17-rated topics. But should the Gibeonites have told the Israelites that they just didn't want to be killed? They were correct--and wise (interesting how often those two traits coincide)--to acknowledge and submit to God's sovereignty, but did they really have to use deceit to do so?  It did end up saving their skins; after all, the Israelites would have followed God's directive to slaughter them if they had known the Gibeonites were from Canaan. Did God orchestrate this whole situation? Did he approve of what happened here? I guess the only definitive lessons to take away from this account are "Always remember to consult with God first," and "Be glad you're not a Gibeonite."

No comments:

Post a Comment